Monday, June 28, 2010

ALL FEMALE TOURNAMENTS

Hey everybody!
It just popped into my mind the one thing that I have yet to write about, and that is the topic of female tournaments. Many people are against the idea of having a girls tournament. Most of their concerns are that these kind of events are sexist or degrading against women.

Coming from my personal experience and perspective on this issue; seeing as to how I happen to be a girl and I happen to have played a few times in tournaments (including ladies of sf4)... I must say that I disagree with the ideas that these events pose a negative impact on society and the gaming industry. In my opinion, it is fair that girls get to play other girls because there are not that many females who really take Sf4 seriously and compete and practice like the majority of the men out there. It is not sexist or disrespectful to put these women in the same room together and give them a chance to show each other their skills and abilities. Many people are saying that it is a "sideshow" or these events are for "attention". I agree to some degree that they may be for some attention but to be honest with everyone, it doesn't matter what day in age it is, a woman playing a game competitively OR being GOOD at that game has always been a spectacle. It just proves that society has labeled it as that and that men have always been the gender to dominate this industry.

Girls have makeup, clothes, etc. And many guys play video games. Before I was introduced into this scene I thought that it was somewhere nerds hang out and I did not want any part to do with it. But after meeting all these great people through gaming, I stopped being so ignorant and opened up my world to the gaming industry.

I think it is a great opportunity for the women who are entering this years Evo female tournament. It is awesome that they get to experience playing firsthand on a huge stage with thousands of people witnessing their skills. Not many people get to say that they played at Evo in front of everyone. That is a big deal to me. Of course I will not be playing :( It is too much pressure for me! But good luck to the ladies who do enter this year!

All in all, female tournaments give more opportunities to the girls who just want to experience a taste of what it is like to game professionally or competitively. I would understand if females were never allowed to compete with guys and only allowed to compete amongst other women; THEN I would say it is degrading and all that stuff... but seeing as to how these events are just an extra BONUS on top of the regular tournaments, there is no harm in them whatsoever.

Thanks for reading!

Teresa

1 comment: